Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Idea of me


When I peer into the mirror, what meets my eyes?
The little child afraid of something or,
I see the memories pasts that I’m ashamed of

When I think of myself,
I try to rearrange the sequence of my existence,
Wish I had done some things differently
Perhaps an alternative lifestyle and interests

I ask myself, “Who are you?”
And I ask myself, “What do you want to become?”
I think ‘who do I want to be?
For whom am I being what I am?
For whom am I living for?’

I realise that the answer exists,
That I have the insights to my probing questions
Ah ha! I see, there it is
I make my own bed, I lay as I wish
I control my thoughts, I think them all
I am me, myself and I
I am my eyes, my nose, and my ears
My lips, my body, my ideals and my values
My dreams, my love and my life

I can see things clearly now
Even if I change the colour of my hair, skin and eyes
I am still the same old me
I cannot but be myself
I am irreplaceable; I am one, unique and exclusively me

Do I want to see myself in the light or darkness?
Perhaps but I choose light, a bright and sunny me
I choose to dream more, smile more, and give more
Learn more, enjoy more and love more
On the contrary I may choose to
Cry more, resent more and demand more
Therefore suffer more
It will only be my choosing

I am myself, my spirit, my body and my life
I resolve to be better and wiser
I will care for myself more
I choose life, hope and love
I will change only if change betters me

I will create my own reality
Be the determiner of other’s perception of me
I am perfection in imperfection for I am but one
I will feed my soul with love within
I am beautiful and delightful
I see only that I want to see
It’s up to me, who I become
Whom I choose to be
Hence I choose to live my best life

By


K.C Nwokoye