Saturday, January 23, 2010

Oranges and Apples

Life has dual phases, two sides to every thing
Two faces to a human being
The distinction of youth and old age
The passions of hate and love
The anguish of pain parallel to
The euphoria of pleasure

There’s an agony to rejection,
While acceptance yields ecstasy
Often contradictory is the ambivalence of
Freewill and The Stronghold of determinism
The dichotomy of romance and its semblance to
The Orange and Apple

Despite the sweetness of these fruits,
There remains an element of undesirability
Might there be a problem with me?
Am I defective? Are my flawed?
Why am I not wanted? Why can’t I be loved?
Asks the Orange, asks the Apple

Soon we realize,
I can either be resented or loved
Sometimes I cause allergies
Other times I restore health.
In my weakness, lies my strength
I am unique, I am an Orange
I am special, I am an Apple
Nothing can change this fact
Not even me, for this I can only be
For this I will always be
True to myself, true to all.

I am an orange, I am an apple
Love me, resent me
I cannot be otherwise
I can’t be anything else but me
I can either be accepted or rejected
This fate I have come to accept/embrace
I am an Orange, I am Apple.

By

K.C Nwokoye.